Upper secondary school

Requirements of the student

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must have been admitted to an upper secondary school.
  • You must have enough money to live on. This means at least

     NOK 13 790 per month, or NOK 151 690 per year 

    for the entire academic year. This money may consist of student loans, grants, own funds that you have in a Norwegian bank account or the deposit account of the educational institution, or a combination of the above. If you have already been offered a part-time job in Norway, the income from this work may be included. (Please note that if you do not have a bank account in Norway you may use the bank account at the the institution where you are going to study. You must contact the institution where you are going to study for any details regarding this arrangement.)
  • You must have somewhere to live.
  • The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed school. 

Requirements relating to the education

The education must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • You have received an offer of admission to a Norwegian school through an exchange partnership with a county or a non-profit organization
  • You are going to attend an IB (International Baccalaureate) study programme
  • You have been accepted to a study programme based on your skills and, consequently, will be attending an institution such as the Norwegian College of Elite Sport, Barrat Due Institute of Music or the Bårdar Academy
  • You have been accepted to attend Longyearbyen School and will be participating in upper secondary education and training on the mainland in Norway. It is a prerequisite that the Longyearbyen local administration has entered into a cooperation agreement with the relevant county administration concerning student exchange at the secondary education and training level.

Exceptions: If you hold a residence permit in another Nordic country, no requirements apply to the school. If you are a Russian national living in the Barents region, you can get a residence permit for studies at a general studies program.

Rights and obligations for applicants who are granted a study permit

  • You can not be self-employed or run your own business in Norway
  • If you are granted a study permit, you are automatically also granted permission to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week, including remote work, in addition to your studies and full-time during holidays.
  • You cannot apply for a permanent residence permit in Norway immediately after having held a study permit.