Working holiday for young adults from New Zealand

Citizens of New Zealand under the age of 31 can be granted a residence permit to take longer holidays and work in Norway.

Requirements of the applicant

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must be a citizen of New Zealand. It is not sufficient to be a permanent resident of New Zealand.
  • You must be over the age of 18 and not have turned 31 when you apply.
  • You must have enough money to live on for the three first months of your stay in Norway. This can be money in the bank and/or a concrete offer of paid work. You must have 

    NOK 13 790‬ per month

    , i.e. 

    NOK 41 370 for the first three months

  • You cannot work for the same employer for more than six months while you are in Norway.
  • You must sign a declaration that you will take out medical insurance and full hospital insurance before entering Norway.
  • You cannot be granted this type of permit if you plan to study for more than three months. In such case, you have to apply for a residence permit for study purposes

Rights and obligations

  • You can work while you are in Norway, but not for more than six months for the same employer.
  • You can be granted a permit for one year in total.
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.
  • Your family members cannot apply for a family immigration permit to come and live with you in Norway.