I am going to a country outside the EU/EEA

  • If you have received a return decision concerning Norway and the EU/Schengen area with a deadline for departure, you must ensure that your departure is registered when you travel out of the EU / Schengen area.
  • You register your departure by presenting your travel document to border control in the last country you travel through when exiting the EU / Schengen area. If your departure was not registered when you left the EU / Schengen area, you must send documentation of your departure to UDI. For example, you could send us a copy of your passport showing the border crossing stamp and a copy of your flight boarding card.
  • Your return decision (with obligation to leave), which is an alert registered in the Schengen Information System (SIS), will only be deleted from SIS after you register your departure.
  • If you do not register your departure, and you cannot document that you left the EU / Schengen area by your deadline in any other way, there may be consequences for you reentering Norway and the EU / Schengen area later.

Example: Your application for a residence permit has been rejected and you receive a return decision with an obligation to leave the EU / Schengen area by a stipulated deadline. You plan to travel from Norway to your home country with a stopover in the Netherlands. In this case, the Netherlands is the last country you will be traveling through in the EU / Schengen area and this is where you must register your departure. It is therefore important that you show your travel document to the border control authority when you leave the Netherlands.