Child under 18 who is going to live with parents in Norway
Please note! If the child is born in Norway, please check what type of residence permit you should apply for. There might be several options.
Requirements for the applicant
- You must document your identity. A valid passport is usually valid proof of identity.
- If only one of your parents is living in Norway, your other parent must consent to you living in Norway. This is only necessary if your parents have joint parental responsibility.
- If you are adopted, the adoption must be valid in your home country and must be approved by the Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs in Norway (external website). This is only necessary if the adoption took place after one or both of your adoptive parents moved to Norway.
Requirements for the reference person
- You must have one of these types of residence permits:
- a permanent residence permit (formerly known as settlement permit)
- a valid residence permit that forms the basis for a permanent residence permit, for example a residence permit for protection, most types of family immigration permits, or a residence permit for self-employed persons with a company in Norway. (You can check in the decision you received from the UDI whether your residence permit forms the basis for a permanent residence permit.)
- a valid residence permit that forms the basis for family immigration, for example most types of family immigration permits, a residence permit for employees in international or foreign companies or a residence permit for a researcher with own funds. (You can check in the decision you received from the UDI whether your residence permit forms the basis for family immigration.)
- You must have an income of at least
NOK 320 274 per year pre-taxnow. In addition, your income last year must have been at about the same level. You cannot have received any financial assistance from NAV (økonomisk sosialhjelp) during the last 12 months. If you do not have enough income yourself, your cohabitant or spouse can provide a financial guarantee. Check what kind of income counts toward this requirement and whether you can get an exemption.
- If you have been granted protection (asylum), check if your family member can apply within the deadlines to be exempt from the income requirement.